Wednesday 15 October 2014

Day 2 of Home Schooling - Tuesday 14th October 2014

This morning we went to the library again. Sam liked choosing the books we would read. I have always enjoyed reading, so sharing this with Sam is special. It's interesting to see what books grab his attention and which ones he flicks through because they just don't engage him. Often the ones I would choose didn't rate highly with him. What do I know? So I'm learning to follow his lead. 

Once we got home, my counting and number recognition game went down well. Sam seems to respond better when there is activity linked to learning. Activities need to engage him and involve 'doing' stuff. I was actually really surprised how many of the number 'words' Sam could read. It was so good seeing him work things out for himself. There were lots of high fives! I'm really having fun coming up with creative ideas to help him learn and have decided to start a blog to record what we do. More for myself than anything else. A fun way to record our learning journey.
 
Paper plates and coloured paddle pop sticks. It's amazing what you can create with a bit of imagination. This is a math activity with movement. It works well for Sam.
Each plate around the table has a number from 1 to 20 and the same number of dots. Sam can practice his counting and number recognition.
Sam had to read the number word on the paddle pop stick and match it to the correct number on the plate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment